Following on from the success of the Land Rovers Discovery model range, Land Rover launched the all-new Discovery Sport compact SUV in 2014. The Discovery Sport was the 3rd generation compact SUV produced by Land Rover, and they opted to add the new compact SUV to the Discovery model range and discontinue the older Freelander SUV, as the Discovery range was aimed more at the family car market. It came with either a 2.0 litre or 2.2 litre diesel engine, making it more fuel-efficient than the rest of the Discovery model range, and came with either a standard 6-speed manual gearbox or a 9-speed transmission.
The Land Rover Discovery Sport was designed by Gerry McGovern, the same designer responsible for the original Land Rover Freelander. This all-new compact SUV came with 2 seating configurations, either as a 5-seater or as an impressive 7-seater, with a 5+2 configuration. In a vehicle no bigger than other 5-seater premium SUVs on the market, this option revolutionised the modern SUV. The 5+2 configuration offered flexibility as the seats in row 3 were integrated and could be folded flat, with the seats in row 2 configured with a 60:40 split and the ability to recline and slide the seats back for extra legroom. This flexible seating configuration still allowed for good load capacity varying from 194 litres to a whopping 1,698 litres with the seating in row 2 and 3 folded flat. Even with 5 people in the vehicle, the load capacity is still an impressive 981 litres.
The Discovery Sports design fully embraced its target market as the modern everyday family car incorporating practicality, comfort, entertainment, and safety throughout the vehicle. The Discovery Sports exceptional safety standards were awarded the 5-star safety rating from Euro NCAP, rating it the safest vehicle in its class. The vehicles sturdy body along with its airbags throughout were just some of the standard safety featured in the Discovery Sport, with the autonomous emergency braking, Lane Keep Assist and Driver Condition Monitor as optional safety aids to help keep everyone in the car safe.
Land Rovers cleverly thought-out in-car infotainment system was also designed with the whole family in mind. Controlling the vehicles climate, navigation, and entertainment via the InControl Touch system or the optional InControl Touch Pro, plus the added option of an entertainment pack for the rear passengers that includes two screens in the front headrests with WhiteFire digital headphones and USB ports.
The Land Rover Discovery Sport offers everything you need for those family adventures, an impressive load capacity, comfort, entertainment, and most importantly exceptional safety. It really is the perfect family compact SUV, and we can see why it has been Land Rovers best-selling model since 2017.
Land Rover Discovery Sport Facts
- The Land Rover Discovery Sport replaced the older Land Rover Freelander
- The Land Rover Discovery Sport was designed by Gerry McGovern, the same designer responsible for the original Land Rover Freelander
- The Land Rover Discovery Sport was the first Discovery produced with a unibody structure
- The Discovery Sport is the 3rd generation compact SUV produced by Land Rover
- The variable seating configurations found in the Land Rover Discovery Sport offers up to a whopping 1,698 litres load capacity
- The Land Rover Discovery Sport is more fuel efficient than the rest of the Discovery model range
- The Discovery Sport has been awarded the 5-star safety rating from Euro NCAP, rating it the safest vehicle in its class
- Since 2017 the Land Rover Discovery Sport has been Land Rovers best-selling model